- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2021 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - May 2021
LIRR Third Track Update - May 2021
Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time. During May, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City (completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19):
New Hyde Park Road Grade Crossing Elimination Project
3TC subcontractors will be hydroseeding the area of New Hyde Park Road and Greenridge Circle in early May
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Crews from EJ Electric will install steel poles at Denton Avenue on the north side of the tracks this month
- Once the poles are installed, crews will begin to relocate utility lines from temporary poles to permanent poles
- Following this activity, temporary utility poles will begin to be removed
- Read more about this activity
- 3TC will continue to install retaining wall panels along the north side of the right-of-way, between Denton Avenue and 5th Avenue
- Sound wall construction will continue along the north side of the tracks, west of Merillon Station, this month
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- Crews have begun the process of commissioning and testing the new elevators at Merillon Avenue Station to ensure complete functionality and safety requirements are met
- EJ Electric is continuing to install platform conduit along the right-of-way, on the south side of the tracks
- Elevators will be ADA-compliant and will provide easier access to the platforms on both sides of the station
LIRR Work Along The Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC's activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA / LIRR.