- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2021 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - November 2021
LIRR Third Track Update - November 2021
During the month of November, you will see crews performing construction activities in Garden City and Garden City Park. Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19.
3rd Track Installation
- Ballast is being installed along the south side of the right-of-way, from New Hyde Park Road to Tanners Pond Road from 7 am to 4 pm, to support the future installation of the third track.
- Work is expected to conclude by mid-November.
- Once the ballast has been installed, crews will prepare to build third track
Utility Pole Removal
In early November, EJ Electric will be working along the right-of-way to remove temporary utility poles, between New Hyde Park Road and Tanners Pond Road, for approximately three nights
Nassau 1 Interlocking & Signal system
- Through the month of November, crews from EJ Electric will work overnight installing utilities along the right-of-way on the north side of the tracks, from New Hyde Park Road to Denton Avenue
- In late November, crews will install utility lines overnight, for approximately three nights, between Tanners Pond Road and Merillon Avenue Station
- On the south side of the tracks, crews are excavating for the installation of retaining and sound walls from Tanners Pond Road to the existing wall along Main Avenue
- Following excavation, crews will install retaining and sound walls
- On the north side of the tracks, from Nassau Boulevard to approximately Cornelia Avenue, crews will install support of excavation (SOE) to support upcoming wall construction
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- Canopy roofing and insulated wall panels are being installed on the north side of the tracks
- Work on the north support building will continue into early November
- EJ Electric is continuing to install signage bands, conduit, backbone utilities and light fixtures along the platforms on the north and south sides of the tracks
- Beginning in early November, EJ Electric will work overnight to install conduit and pull wire beneath the platforms at Merillon Station. This work is expected to be complete by the end of November
LIRR Work Along The Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC's activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA / LIRR.