- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2021 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - September 2021
LIRR Third Track Update - September 2021
During the month of September, you will see crews performing construction activities in Garden City.
3rd Track Installation
- Ballast will be installed along the south side of the right-of-way, from New Hyde Park Road to Denton Avenue, during the day to support the future installation of the third track
- Once the ballast has been installed, crews will prepare to build third track
- Third track has been installed from Nassau Boulevard to Herricks Road. Crews will continue to install the remaining layer of ballast that will support the third track this month
- On the south side of the tracks, support of excavation (SOE) will be installed from Tanners Pond Road to the existing wall along Main Avenue
- Following the installation of SOE, crews will begin to excavate in advance of sound and retaining wall installation
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- In late September, the 12-car westbound permanent platform will open
- Ingress and egress to the station will remain in its current condition
- Additional station information
- Crews are continuing the process of commissioning and testing the new elevators at Merillon Avenue Station to ensure complete functionality and safety requirements are met
- Elevators will be ADA-compliant and will provide easier access to the platforms on both sides of the station
- Guardrails and railings are being installed on the stairs and ramps on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- On the north side of the tracks from 5th Avenue to G15, crews will continue installing foundations for the permanent platform footings
- EJ Electric is continuing to install signage bands along the platforms
- Commuters will notice EJ Electric working overnight to install conduit along the right-of-way on the north side of the tracks
Double Track Outages
- Double track outages have been scheduled for the Main Line for September 11 to 12 and September 18 to 19
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities in proximity to the tracks
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday mornings, crews will be working through the overnight hours
- More information on service changes from Floral Park Station to Hicksville Station
LIRR Work Along The Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC's activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA / LIRR.