- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2021 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - October 2021
LIRR Third Track Update - October 2021
During the month of October, you will see crews performing construction activities in Garden City.
3rd Track Installation
- Ballast is being installed along the south side of the right-of-way, from New Hyde Park Road to Tanners Pond Road from 7 am to 4 pm to support the future installation of the third track
- Once the ballast has been installed, crews will prepare to build third track
- Residents will notice crews working on the third track during the day, over the weekend of October 23-24, from New Hyde Park Road to Tanners Pond Road
Nassau 1 Interlocking & Signal System
- On the north side of the tracks, crews from EJ Electric will work overnight installing utilities along the right-of-way from New Hyde Park Road to Denton Avenue
- Beginning in late October, crews will install transmission lines east and west of the Denton Avenue Bridge
- Residents will notice crews working both during the week and on weekends to progress this project activity for approximately
- Work will occur on the project element overnight for approximately one week
- During the weekend of October 23 to 24 and October 30 to 31, crews will work on transmission lines between Nassau Boulevard and Herricks Road, on the north side of the tracks
- On the south side of the tracks, support of excavation (SOE) will be installed from Tanners Pond Road to the existing wall along Main Avenue
- Following the installation of SOE, crews will excavate and install retaining and sound walls
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- As of September 27, the 12-car westbound permanent platform at Merillon Avenue Station is open
- Ingress and egress to the station will remain in its current condition
- Additional station information
- Hydraulics for the new elevators are being installed and tested throughout October
- Guardrails, railings for stairs and ramps, canopies, canopy roofing and insulated wall panels are being installed on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- Work on the north support building is continuing in early October
- On the north side of the tracks from 5th Avenue to G15, crews will continue installing backbone conduit and ballast along the right-of-way through the first week of October
- On Friday, October 1, crews will work overnight installing cables from approximately 4 pm to midnight
- EJ Electric is continuing to install signage bands, conduit, and light fixtures along the platforms on the north and south sides of the tracks
- On October 4, crews will work overnight between the hours of 9 pm and 5 am resetting a platform slab on the north side of the station.
Double Track Outages
- Double track outages have been scheduled for the Main Line for October 23 to 24 and October 30 to 31
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities in proximity to the tracks
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday mornings, crews will be working through the overnight hours
- More information on service changes from Floral Park Station to Hicksville Station
LIRR Work Along The Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC's activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA / LIRR.