- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2021 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - June 2021
LIRR Third Track Update - June 2021
During the month of June, you will see crews performing construction activities in Garden City.
New Hyde Park Road Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- During June, crews from EJ Electric will be performing electrical testing underneath the New Hyde Park Road Bridge
- This activity is expected to last one day, and will require a single-lane closure to complete
- Flaggers will be present to assist with two-way traffic during this operation
- 3TC will continue to install retaining wall panels along the north side of the right-of-way, between Denton Avenue and 5th Avenue
- Sound wall construction will continue along the north side of the tracks, west of Merillon Station, this month
- Work on these sections of wall will continue over the weekend throughout the month of June
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- Crews have begun the process of commissioning and testing the new elevators at Merillon Avenue Station to ensure complete functionality and safety requirements are met
- While testing and commissioning takes place, crews will continue to lay thin brick on the interior and exterior of the elevator buildings
- Guardrails and railings are being installed on the stairs and ramps on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- EJ Electric is continuing to install lighting at the station and platform conduit along the right-of-way, on the north and south sides of the tracks
- Elevators will be ADA-compliant and will provide easier access to the platforms on both sides of the station
3rd Track Installation
- Ballast will be installed along the south side of the right-of-way during the day to support the future installation of the third track
- Once the ballast has been installed, crews will build track between Nassau Boulevard and Herricks Road
Double Track Outages
- Double track outages have been scheduled for the Main Line on June 12th and 13th and the Oyster Bay Line on June 26th and 27th
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities in proximity to the tracks
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday mornings, crews will be working through the overnight hours
LIRR Work Along The Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC's activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA / LIRR.