- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2022 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - April 2022
LIRR Third Track Update - April 2022
During the month of April, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City.
- Crews from EJ Electric have begun the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
Tanners Pond Road / Denton Avenue Bridge Replacement Project
- Crews continue utility relocation work to accommodate for the upcoming bridge replacement.
- As a result, local road closures and detours are in place.
- Tanners Pond Road/Denton Avenue are closed from Main Avenue to Railroad Avenue during this activity.
- Thru traffic is being redirected to alternate routes. Work zone traffic control (WZTC) signage has been posted throughout the closure.
- A concrete U-box substructure has been installed which support's the new bridge superstructure. 3TC will use the box-jacking method (similar to the method used at the New Hyde Park Road underpass) which will allow 3TC to move the bridge into place during a single weekend.
- Steel assembly has begun with an anticipated "bridge push" scheduled for the weekend of April 29.
- The Tanners Pond/Denton Avenue Bridge is the last of seven bridges to be replaced or modified as part of the project.
- The bridge is scheduled to be removed and replaced with a three-track structure to accommodate the new third track and improve safety.
- Following the successful support of excavation installation on the north side of the tracks, crews are installing retaining walls from Nassau Boulevard to approximately Cornelia Avenue.
- Approximately 60% of walls in this area are complete with anticipated completion by May 22.
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- Both elevators are now fully operational and available for use.
- 3TC has substantially completed its work on the Merillon Avenue Station. We can now begin the process of restoring the area in its permanent condition.
- As a result, there will be ongoing punch list work at the station throughout the month.
Nassau 3 Interlocking, Signal & Divide 1 System
- The new system is a necessary component of a comprehensive modernization effort to streamline operations, optimize flexibility, and ensure the safe movement of trains along the corridor.
- Following the successful cutover on the weekend of March 12, crews will begin the process of removing and installing the Divide 1 switches. For more information regarding this work and impacts associated, please see the following notice from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA).
Upcoming Double Track Outages
- Throughout April, crews are working along the right-of-way on the weekends (including overnight).
- As the new Nassau 3/Divide 1 interlocking system is commissioned, installed, and becomes operational, work will be disruptive to those residents in the immediate vicinity.
- Separate from Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Expansion project work, the LIRR Track Program is advancing. During the next few weekends, the LIRR will use a Track Laying Machine (TLM), a special train used to replace concrete ties in large quantities across long stretches of track to replace wooden ties (which rot and deteriorate over time), with new, resilient concrete ties that have the potential to require little or no maintenance for decades.
- Although replacing concrete ties may increase noise and/or vibration during upcoming weekend work, modernizing the LIRR's infrastructure will ultimately minimize the need for invasive trackwork for years to come.
- On April 9 to 10 most of the work involving loud, heavy equipment will take place from the Floral Park LIRR Station to Denton Avenue in Garden City, and on April 23 and 24, between South 11th Street in New Hyde Park and Mineola LIRR Station.
- April 29 to May 1 Project Work:
- Time: Friday 9 pm to Monday 5 am.
- Scope of work: Denton Avenue Bridge Replacement
- Location: New Hyde Park road to Nassau Boulevard
- On April 29 to May 1, most work and heavy equipment will be between Herricks Road in Mineola and New Hyde Park Station.
Double track outages with significant impact to LIRR riders on the Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma, and Oyster Bay branches are scheduled for weekends where the above work is taking place, with minor schedule adjustments for Hempstead Branch. For more information about changes to service, visit the MTA Planned Services Changes page.
- April 9 to 10
- April 23 to 24
- April 29 to May 1
Additional Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post on the LIRR Expansion Project website.