- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2022 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - October 2022
LIRR Third Track Update - October 2022
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City.
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- Throughout October, crews will install snow melt under the north and south side platforms.
- There will be ongoing punch list work, including installation of permanent handrails, infill panels, and platform barriers at the station
- Overnight work will take place October 11th through 13th to support gangway removal.
- The project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements - such as the planting of trees, shrubs, and other greenery - that will enhance a completed project and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
- Throughout October, landscaping maintenance will continue on the north and south side of the station.
- In October, crews will continue demolition work followed by support of excavation and excavation.
- New track cable pulls and switch heaters will be installed from Merillon Station moving East.
Triple Track Outages
- The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend triple-track outages (TTOs) and double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades. Due to ongoing construction, there may be a possibility of additional outages.
- October 1 - Crews to run tests along the LIRR Main Line
- October 29 - Project work will take place around the clock from Floral Park to Wantagh Parkway
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (MTA information).
Additional Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the LIRR Expansion Project website.
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit the Metropolitan Transit Authority's Long Island Rail Road page.