- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2022 Information
- No Service on Hempstead Branch November 11 to 14
No Service on Hempstead Branch November 11 to 14
November 10, 2022: Track work this weekend, November 11 to 14, will take place primarily in Floral Park and Bellerose but will create associated construction impacts, such as positioning of work engines and additional crews in the area, in Garden City and Stewart Manor. This work is to finish the installation of concrete ties along the Hempstead branch, which will reduce the need for both unplanned and planned maintenance, as these concrete ties are much more durable than the current wooden ties. There will also be all new rail and other infrastructure installed. Please see the below for more information:
Concrete Tie Installation, Bellerose Station to Covert Avenue
- The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) will be taking the Hempstead branch out of service late in the evening on Friday, November 11th until early Monday, November 14th to complete the installation of concrete ties along the Hempstead branch.
- This final piece of the project had been previously delayed from over the summer and will drastically reduce the need for both unplanned and planned outages as these ties are much more durable and there is a host of other new infrastructure being installed.
- This work will also involve several pieces of heavy machinery and is generally invasive work. As such, residents that live in the vicinity of the branch should expect disruptions over the course of the weekend.
- The Hempstead Branch will be out of service to accommodate this work and buses will replace trains between Jamaica and Hempstead.
- Learn more about our service plan changes.
- For Stewart Manor, Nassau Boulevard, Garden City, and Hempstead, transfer at Mineola for bus service.
- There is no service at Country Life Press. Use Mineola or Garden City stations instead.
- If you can, use nearby New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, or Mineola stations, as bus service will add 30 minutes of extra travel time.
- The last trains to operate on Friday night are the 11:36 pm from Hempstead and the 11:44 pm from Atlantic Terminal. Service resumes with the 12:16 am from Hempstead and 1:49 am from Atlantic Terminal on Monday morning.
- Work is weather dependent, dates are subject to change to take advantage of favorable conditions.